Need Help?

Need Help?

In a hospital and seeking urgent help?

Are you or a loved one getting sicker, and no one seems to be listening or noticing?

States and territories have different systems that help patients, carers, and families to escalate their concerns with staff if they are concerned about a worsening health condition. Click on your state to find out more, or if it is not listed, ask for the Patient Liaison Officer at your hospital.
New South Wales | Queensland | South Australia Western Australia | Northern Territory | Australian Capital Territory

Where to make a health complaint

Services where you can seek help, feedback, or for health complaints. You can to ask to speak to an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander employee at these organisations:
Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra)

Ahpra is the national organisation responsible for implementing the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme (the National Scheme) across Australia.  Ahpra encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples who have experienced culturally unsafe incidents of care from a registered health practitioner to submit a notification or complaint online or by calling 1300 419 495.


State or Territory Health Complaints Organisations

Contact your State or Territory Health Complaints Organisation to make a complaint about health systems or health service providers:

NSW | Health Care Complaints Commission 

1800 043 159

VIC |  Health Complaints Commissioner / Mental Health Complaints Commissioner 

1300 582 113 / 1800 246 054

QLD | Office of the Health Ombudsman (OHO) 

133 646

SA | Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner (HCSCC) 

1800 232 007

WA | Health and Disability Services Complaints Office (HaDSCO) 

1800 813 583

NT | Health and Community Services Complaints Commission (HCSCC)

1800 004 474

TAS | Health Complaints Commissioner Tasmania 

1800 001 170

ACT | Health Services Commissioner 

(02) 6205 2222

National | Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission

1800 951 822


Hospital Complaints

All health services have a Complaints Management Policy. Complaints about health care, hospital conditions or health service providers can be made by anyone. In some hospitals they have a consumer liaison officer or patient representative to deal with complaints. Ask your health professional, nurse manager, doctor or Aboriginal Liaison Officer for information.


Care Opinion

Care Opinion is an independent site where anyone can anonymously share their stories about their experience of care. The site covers health and aged care, and community services in Australia, giving service users, their families and carers the opportunity to publish their personal experiences, good or bad, of the care system. Care Opinion is a place where you can:

  • Share your stories about care and support services you or your relative’s have used
  • See what others are saying about services
  • See how services respond and whether they make an improvement

See how Care Opinion impacts on healthcare services with the brochure and video here.

Where to report racism and discrimination

If you or someone you know experiences racism or discrimination, we encourage you to report it through the following options. You can to ask to speak to an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander employee at these organisations:


Call it Out

We know that First Nations people experience racism and discrimination, but it’s true extent is not understood. By ‘calling out’ racism on this register, you are helping to tell the true story of racism in this country. This will enable us and community leaders to continue the fight against racism and protect future generations.

The First Nations Racism Register is a simple and secure way for people to report incidents of racism and discrimination toward First Nations Peoples. The individual reports are collected and analysed by the Jumbunna Research to inform an annual report which will help raise awareness and drive systematic change.

Australian Human Rights Commission

The Australian Human Rights Commission is an independent organisation that investigates and conciliates complaints about discrimination and breaches of human rights including harassment and unfair treatment on the basis of race, colour, descent, gender, disability, age and other grounds.

For free advice on discrimination and your rights, or to make a complaint:

State and Territory Human Rights & Equal Opportunity Commissions

Contact your State or Territory Human Rights or Equal Opportunity Commission to lodge a discrimination complaint:

NSW | Anti-Discrimination NSW

1800 670 812

VIC | Victoria – Equal Opportunity & Human Rights Commission

1300 292 153

QLD| Queensland – Human Rights Commission

1300 130 670

SA | South Australia – Equal Opportunity Commission

(08) 7322 7070

WA | Western Australia – Equal Opportunity Commission

1800 198 149

NT | Northern Territory – Anti-Discrimination Commission

1800 813 846

TAS | Equal Opportunity Tasmania: Home

1300 305 062

ACT | Australian Capital Territory – Human Rights Commission
(02) 6205 2222

Where to find a disability advocate

An advocate is a person or organisation that helps you speak up for your rights when you feel you can’t on your own. To find a disability advocate near you, click here.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander-led Legal Services

ACT & NSW | Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited
1800 733 233

VIC | Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service
1800 064 865

TAS | Tasmanian Aboriginal Legal Service
1800 595 162

SA | Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement South Australia
1800 643 222

WA | Aboriginal Legal Service of Western Australia
1800 019 900

NT | North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency (NAAJA)

 1800 898 251

QLD | Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service
1800 012 255


Learn more about recording police, reporting racism and past legal matters at our Public Campaigns & Tools page.